We provide qualified, experienced, professional staff to support the development departments of housing associations, ALMO's and Local Authorities. From Development Managers through to Development Directors, providing staff management solutions is Red Loft's core business. We pride ourselves on the calibre of our consultants and ensure that they are chosen to best match the needs of our clients.
- We are creative and are able to introduce a wide range of skills that support good project management.
- We are innovative and add value to projects.
- We offer value for money; when one consultant is appointed, access is available to the expertise of a full team of professionals.
- Our consultants will understand your business priorities.
- We can offer tailored training and mentoring for existing in house staff and board members.
Scheme Project Management
We act as Project Managers on one-off schemes for a client.
From either our London or Manchester offices, we are able to offer a fully outsourced development service with all necessary IT, meeting rooms and other facilities available.
This service particularly suits clients who do not often carry out development projects and don't have a team for us to join and work alongside. The service that we offer is fully flexible; we can run the entire project from our office on a client's behalf, we can work alongside the client in their offices, or we can provide ad-hoc advice as and when needed in areas such as:
- Selecting and appointing consultants to the design team
- Obtaining planning permission
- Selecting and appointing a contractor
- Identifying funding
- Carrying out financial viability appraisals
- Managing the project on site
- Sales and marketing of completed homes
Option Appraisals on Existing Stock or Potential Sites
We provide an option appraisal service to existing stock or potential sites. The analysis will identify local features that will dictate the development form and assess the local challenges, particularly those items that will affect the cost and design, such as demolition, contamination, drainage and services crossing the site, presence of trees, access for pedestrians and cars, overlooking, security, day light and sunlight or rights of light considerations and the ability to build whilst minimising inconvenience to local people and businesses. We will:
- Use map records to review all of your sites.
- Shortlist sites to visit and inspect
- Identify their ability to be developed and the constraints both of the site and the locality.
- Prepare a detailed analysis of the sites best placed to be developed immediately
- We will commission architectural advice to provide sketches, development capacity studies and accommodation proposals for each site.
- We will also consider other matters, such as the loss of parking or amenity created by development and the opportunity to enhance the immediate surroundings with improved landscaping, boundaries, lighting and natural surveillance.
- Reports will conclude with a business case and financial justification setting out the benefits of developing the site.
We recognise that understanding resident and stakeholder views and aspirations is key to achieving successful planning applications. We have a team of highly experienced development and regeneration professionals who carry out effective consultation for housing associations on all types of mixed use and mixed tenure projects. We provide a range of services to clients including:
- Developing bespoke resident and stakeholder consultation strategies
- Working with the design team to develop project publicity including newsletters, consultation information and press releases
- Arranging and attending effective consultation sessions and events with residents and local stakeholders
- Producing detailed Statements of Community Involvement for planning applications and regeneration proposal documents
Frameworks and OJEU Compliance
OJEU (Official Journal of the European Union) procurement rules apply to a range of contracts that public sector bodies use to procure services, works and goods. We have been commissioned to run a number of OJEU procurement processes for clients on frameworks as well as on specific schemes. We are experienced in managing a compliant procurement process and removing time consuming elements from the client by dealing with day-to-day administration and enquiries.
We adapt our services to suit specific client needs and can assist our clients in:
- Issuing the notice
- Writing and Issuing the PQQ (Pre Qualifying Questionnaire)
- Evaluation and analysis of returned PQQ’s
- Issuing of the ITT (Invitation to Tender) to successful applicants
- Evaluation and analysis of the returned tenders
- Co-ordination of interviews where applicable
- Appointment of successful applicants
- Where necessary, facilitating a workshop with the successful applicants
- Providing a conclusive report to the client with an agreed framework of consultants/contractors
Stock Rationalisation, Transfers and Disposals
The ability of a housing organisation to attract funding and to develop new stock is dependent upon demonstrating year on year efficiency savings, and stock rationalisation is becoming an increasingly popular and attractive tool to achieve this. Stock rationalisation helps increase efficiency by: reducing geographical and statutory areas of operation enabling greater focus on core localities and communities, raising money to invest in existing and new homes in strategic areas or by streamlining existing tenures. We offer a complete understanding of the disposals process of tenanted and vacant stock, from identification of suitable properties through the tendering process to completion of the sale.
We obtain the best value in Stock Rationalisation, both financially and strategically by providing:
- A service that does not affect existing projects and resources
- Management of a competitive tender process
- HCA compliance, including obtaining Section 172 consent
- Local authority liaison
- Effective resident consultation
We have carried out similar exercises for various organisations including; Lambeth Living, Southport Homes, Wolverhampton Homes and MHS.
Pre-Audit Inspection Preparations
The Homes and Communities Agency is currently auditing schemes funded under the 2008-11 National Affordable Housing Programme. To assist our clients in meeting the requirements of these audits, Red Loft has developed a service to prepare specialised audit files in line with the scheme audit guidelines.
Our consultants are able to visit clients' offices and work with staff to prepare files and check items off against a pre-prepared checklist, ensuring that files are prepared quickly, efficiently and to the HCA's requirements.
Since introducing this service, Red Loft has undertaken the preparation of scheme audits for clients including Peabody, South London YMCA and Southwark & London Diocesan HA.
Supported housing, sheltered housing and hostel developments require specific expertise and specialist knowledge of the development process. Whereas general needs housing is designed to a standard brief, each special needs scheme must be designed to meet requirements of the identified client group but also be sufficiently flexible should that group change in the medium term. This requires specific knowledge and the ability to accommodate the requirements of tenants and service commissioners.
Red Loft has extensive experience in this area. Whilst working for L.B.Hillingdon, we developed a new sheltered housing scheme at Lady Craig Court and self contained housing for people with mental health problems. At L.B. Hillingdon we also worked closely with a partner RSL in the development of an award winning scheme in Ruislip for people with learning disabilities. For the last three years we have been development consultants for Carr Gomm, delivering a range of supported housing schemes nationwide. We are currently working with Look Ahead Housing and Care on the remodelling of several large hostel buildings in central London.
For further information, please contactDanny Sutcliffe
T: 07909 977 901
< Return to Services List